Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Good Mouthpieces for Beginners?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 09, 2003 at 09:40:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Good Mouthpieces for Beginners? posted by Chuck Jackson on October 08, 2003 at 18:53:12:

Oh, yes, I agree. Those of us to are as entertained by collecting tubas and experimenting with equipment as we are by playing them have to be careful not to lead astray those who look to equipment to make up for something they lack.

As a tuba player I lack much. Finding equipment that minimizes my weaknesses and displays my strengths is both fun and productive, if the measure of productivity is a hobbyist's satisfaction. That satisfaction is nearly as valuable to me as the slight edge being sought by someone going after a competitive professional tuba position.

The recommendations of two professional teachers up this thread of either the Bach 18 or the Helleberg is based on the principle you are espousing. Asking beginners to buy, say, Parantucci mouthpieces would violate it, in my view, and start them on the path that spending more money makes one a better musician.

Rick "who repeats that he derived musical satisfaction, as a beginner, with a plastic sousaphone and a 24AW" Denney

Follow Ups: