Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why CC, really?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on October 11, 2003 at 19:14:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Why CC, really? posted by Lars on October 11, 2003 at 16:47:51:

Now, Lars, I never, ever said that you should pick a tuba based on what key you are playing in: those are 100% your words.

You stated:

"Don't forget you have to add these two feet by use of the valve tubings. The total length must be the same."

I merely pointed out that that is not true: the total length is not the same in all cases. And I am not expressing my opinion here, but fact. The two tubas do not use the same lengths of tubing for the same pitches in the low register, as they are in different positions within their native overtone series when playing. What you are saying would cause CC tubists to play low B natural 1, 2, 4 or 2, 4, 5. That would be the same length as the BBb on the same note, which would be kind of ridiculous when the open bugle only needs to be lowered by one half-step to play the pitch.

And I have never twisted my students' arms to buy a CC tuba if a really good BBb can be had for a lot less money. (I live in Mississippi, where money is a thing of legend and myth.) In general, I try to steer my students away from a career in music unless they are really fine players and can realistically be happy being band directors. (If the band director thing does not really seem to be of any interest to them, I recommend that they major in some field where they will make decent money. I have only encouraged two of my students to pursue performance in the last 15 years.)

Ciao!

Wade

Follow Ups: