Re: Re: Re: Vegetable oil is not my friend...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brandon Ostrom on October 12, 2003 at 00:09:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Vegetable oil is not my friend... posted by Moron on October 11, 2003 at 23:21:06:

Well, well. You are not the only one who has tried whacky oil-based products as vavle oil. (100% pure lamp oil, with no side effects as of yet. Not really good stuff though, way too thin)

Sadly, vegatible oil breaks down too easily. Oxygen, zinc, copper, brass and even light mean vegy oil just sucks for anything other then makin good ol' fried chicken.

And now onto my 2 pennies....

Hot water will clean out some of the oil, but it will also create a residue that will leave a crusty mess in your tuba.

I would recommend, if you haven't already, using hot water with liquid dish soap with a hose from the tap held/ducktaped/forceofwilled onto the leadpipe. Though most soaps are mildly caustic (metal eatin mo-fos) and leave a residue, you need not worry about either if you rince well. (soap residue, unlike oil residue, is easily removed with hot water)

Also, consider boiling the valves (felts off of coarse) for about an half hour in hot water with just a bit of soap. (better safe then sorry!)

If you'd rather just leave it the way it is, hey, your call. Though I'm a fan of making sure things are done right, I'm also a BIG fan of being lazy. Pick and choose.

I'm outta here.....

Follow Ups: