Re: Re: To Wade re: Xenophobia

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on October 14, 2003 at 00:29:17:

In Reply to: Re: To Wade re: Xenophobia posted by Wade on October 13, 2003 at 20:51:03:

And by the way, when it comes to Xenophobia, I think the US leads the pack. Even if you were lucky enough to cut through all the EU red tape and become the tubis/tubaist/tuba player of the Vienna Philharmonic, Uncle Sam would still have dibs on your income even if you live and earn 100% of your income in Austria.

The US is, I believe, the only country to assert the right to tax the income of it's citizens who earn the income abroad. Other countries don't do this - an Englishman working in Venezuela pays taxes to Venezuela, period. (I think because of the screwy US system, foreign countries might tax their nationals in the US because of reciprocal treaties.)

And the individual states are pretty bad as well. When I lived in Tokyo, there was a branch office of the California Franchise Tax Board (the CA IRS!) across from the US embassy. Their job was to screen the Japanese tax records and try to find CA companies or individuals who might be earning money in Japan and mot reporting it to good old California.

Follow Ups: