Re: Re: Re: Re: Comparing old-timers equipment to today

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on October 15, 2003 at 08:53:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Comparing old-timers equipment to today posted by Sam Gnagey on October 15, 2003 at 06:28:59:

Looks like a great axe. I think that configuration is the most practical for doing a variety of work. It's interesting that several manufacturers have come out with something "like it" in recent years.

King has new management. Back in the 1970s (Seeburg era), when some of us Butterfield students were having them rework changes into the existing horns (removing that double turn in the third valve, the "pushrods", etc.), we were begging them to bring back the one-piece upright bell. I remember a lunch with the head of engineering (George McCracken, who wanted to make the changes), and head of the sales department, and then VP Al Brancae (sp?). Anyway, after all the niceties, I inquired, in my naive manner, as to when they would incorporate the improvements into the production model. At this point, the sales guy pulled out this immense printout of orders for King instruments. "We're 275 horns back ordered on the Symphony Bass - why should we change anything?" - end of conversation. Love those guys in suits. Of course, this was back then GM was making three-ton family sedans, and not getting the message that Toyota was about to humble them. Same kind of post-WWII management thinking, I suppose.

I think they got the message thirty years later when Dillon's guys showed them how to fabricate the CC and BBb horns from existing parts and mandrels, and also, when they found they could sell it at a price point competitive with the Chinese Jupiter 587 (?).

Both the King BBb and Conn CC are very affordable and playable horns. They "speak" well. You don't have to carry a repair kit around with you, you won't get a hernia lugging them to the job, and you don't have to tie board to your butt to keep from falling in while playing them. What's not to like?

I'll solder in a new water heater - but I've never had the courage (or inclination, truthfully) to solder together a tuba. Your work looks pretty nice in the photo...

Mark Heter

Follow Ups: