Re: more core in the low register?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on October 15, 2003 at 12:53:21:

In Reply to: more core in the low register? posted by tim on October 14, 2003 at 11:09:39:

I like to do simple melodies, generally in the minor mode to help keep the mindset of a dark, focused sound in the low register. I found working on long, melodically advanced etudes with too much chromaticism in the low register did not allow me to focus on sound, because my concentration was on the pitches. This is why I am hesitant to recommend the Snedecor Low Register etudes to less advanced students, and instead recommend Rochuts down two octaves.

As a huge Star Wars fan, I learned the "Emperor's Theme" from Return of the Jedi. It was originally scored for low strings and male voices providing a very dark and ominous mood, perfect for working on that type of sound in the low register. Plus, you can focus on the same things Dale talked about, including an absolutely seamless line, varying dynamics, etc. This simple theme helped me to always be aware of my sound, and where it might not be completely open and dark. Also, aurally knowing a simple theme very well and playing it in many different keys throughout the low register will help you work on intonation, which is generally a big factor in an unfocused low register sound.

Follow Ups: