Re: Marching Band Competitions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by my take on October 22, 2003 at 14:17:45:

In Reply to: Marching Band Competitions posted by Just Wondering on October 21, 2003 at 12:07:55:

HS marching band is so subjective when you try to score it and compete. In a way it is ridiculous to try to compare so many different levels of bands and styles, yet this competition pushes and drives you to be your best, no different than any sport competition. Circuits like the Bands of America have judges that score points for certain things like visual, moreso than musical. Clean guard, clean drill, well designed shows get high marks in BOA. There really is no requirement for demand. other circuits have different stresses, and some side on more musical issues for points.

The deciding factor is really who the director is and what his philosophy in music education might be. HS marching bands, in my opinion, should still be considered educational, and approached as an extension of the academic music learning experience at a school. That being said, a show based on Chicago's greatest hits, while entertaining to a football crowd, does not have a place in our music education system right now. these kids should be learning the greater music of the classics and performing more difficult music that is artistic and educational. The only reason most of these shows are not that entertaining to the general public is because they are not educated to see the intrinsic artistic values that are involved in a lot of shows. Just because you dont recognize the tunes and cant dance to it, does not mean it is not educationally valuable. HS marching band does not have an obligation to be mainstream. I applaud those that resist playing popular music in an effort to educate their students about the classical arts world.

It is becoming way to popular to make marching band the only band experience your children will get. So many schools are on block scheduling and marching band is a class in the fall semester. Concert band is going to the wayside and kids are not getting the year round musical training they need.

This issue could be discussed for hours. There are so many good things that come from marching band. leadership training, basic motor skills and coordination, multi tasking, using your brain, attention to details, work ethic, discipline. A lot of kids will miss out on some of these skills, but a lot of band students get them. it is a great acticity for young kids that arent good enough or strong enough(or too smart) to be on an athletic team. Football for geeks, I sometimes callmarching band. At most schools, the cream of the academic core of a shool participate in band. if only there was a way to put things on an even keel for judging. its too wiede and diverse of a field, because it is open to a lot of creativity. nature of the beast. You in some, you lose some...but hopefully you learn something in the process.

Follow Ups: