Re: Re: Re: Re: ..an old approach to tuba transport

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by henry on October 23, 2003 at 14:22:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: ..an old approach to tuba transport posted by Rick Denney on October 23, 2003 at 13:41:32:

Agreed. What is more characteristic of the older detachable bell tubas than the souza sized bell rim diameter quickly reduced to a throat which is narrow by prevailing modern standards within the first 18 inches? But consider, if you would, the possibility of a detachable coupling at the point on the Holton where the one piece bell/ throat currently attaches via a soldered ring. Dimensionally it appears to be about the same as the Conn is at it's attachment point. This would leave you with a detached bell that is considerably longer than tradition would call for (not to mention a leadpipe flopping in the breeze) But you resolve the transport issue, allow use of existing bells with attachment rings of acceptable diameters and I'd maintain that the jury is out on whether you have any adverse effect upon the tone. And a real "enthusiast" could stop dropping matches into the slides and change bells to suit his music.... Regrettably I have but one tuba to give in the pursuit of knowledge and for the nonce I'm inclined to leave it in one piece. But that's the course of choice for lily-livered folk such as I- now a brave lad such as yourself......
PS GREAT graphic illustration of your point.

Follow Ups: