Re: WHICH F TUBA?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on October 25, 2003 at 07:43:42:

In Reply to: WHICH F TUBA? posted by BIG PHIL on October 23, 2003 at 12:56:13:

If you are willing to spend as much money as you indicate, then trying out as many instruments as you can should not be an issue. Go to the major dealers, or have them send horns to you on approval.

The only way to find the perfect F is to play each one. We have our favorites and we have ones we would steer you away from. These are just our own stupid opinions and ones we share eagerly.

Set up a list of criteria for tone quality, response in upper and lower registers, intonation, ergonomics i.e. hand position, lap position, weight, and anything else you can think of. Make a chart and assign a numerical system, 1-10 or 1-100 and rate the horns.

After doing the chart and being very critical, stick to it. Then, when all else fails take the horn that you fall in love with. It may have some problems but will seem inconsequential because this is the horn I love.

Example: The first F I owned was a Mirafone 180-5U years ago (it was a sweet horn albeit a very small one) but learned to play on a Meinl Weston that was a horrible instrument that the university purchased for student use. The next one was a B&S Perantucci (pre-PT-10). It was a very good instrument but not quite what I had in mind. I then proceeded to play every F tuba I could lay my hands on just for comparison sake.

I found the F I was looking for in the Warren Deck prototype Meinl Weston 45 SLP (yes, someone was willing to spend big bucks and trade off a good B&S Perantucci for that horn). It is silver plated and is the spitting image of the model 2000, just a little smaller. It does not play at all like the factory 45 SLP's that I tried. The low C is easier to play and the upper register is marvelous. The valves are fantastic. Did I fall in love with the horn? yes!! Did it play better than any of the other horns I tried? yes!! That's why I bought it. Would you like to hear it? I'll be performing a program of all Ionel Dumitru music at the ITEC 2004 next summer. If any of you have his music you'll get to see a real show. Great composer and wonderful music. Wish me luck.

Follow Ups: