Re: discouraging audience appreciation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tim C on October 25, 2003 at 15:45:53:

In Reply to: discouraging audience appreciation posted by HeWhoBlowsThruBrass on October 25, 2003 at 13:06:30:

Concert manners..hum.. in Germany, England, Switzerland, I believe most people don't give applauses between movements, in respect to the performers and their art. However I also heard (is it true?) that in Italy, people would applause like crazy after the tenor sings a long (very long) high C or something like that. I see what you guys mean but holding the applause has its virtues too, I think it gives the performers a chance to give a more complete presentation, I believe most performers plan the performance without applauses between movments, they calculate the time between movements (which is often important for musical purposes). Sometimes it upsets me just as much as a ringing cell phone (not to mention all the crappy type of ringers), I guess the common practice here in the US is more toward not to give applause during movements, in respect to the other audiences and the performers.

Follow Ups: