Re: discouraging audience appreciation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on October 26, 2003 at 09:34:32:

In Reply to: discouraging audience appreciation posted by HeWhoBlowsThruBrass on October 25, 2003 at 13:06:30:

If you are playing for your regular symphony crowd, you can expect proper etiquette. Some of this crowd are regular opera-goers, and they understand opera etiquette. The same holds true for opera fans that switch over to the symphony (generally speaking). These are what one might call a "cultured" crowd or "cultured" part of society. When you play for a crowd that might not be "cultured" and the don't know the proper etiquette, musicians just have to understand and accept that. It seems that many in music (especially soloists) are such self-absorbed pompous asses that they cannot conceptualize this. Their purpose has become far removed from making beautiful music. Common folk are capable of understanding and appreciating high-brow, long-haired, "cultured", or "legit" music, whether or not they are etiquette-saavy. Don't ruin their experience by putting them in their place. Ask a businessman how to treat customers, so as to have repeat business. I don't think he'll tell you to put them down or be condescending in any way. Why do we try to play and make music anyway? For our enjoyment and the enjoyment of others? Paid or unpaid, it does something for our souls. What really counts in the overall experience? Is it making great music or being consumed with what is deemed proper behavior? Some apparently lose sight of why we do what we do along the way. Any time I get applause, I love it, whether it's sincere or just because it's the proper time for applause. (If you play tuba, you take what you can get sometimes)
Doc (a square-headed, country boy who fully understands, but doesn't place great importance on proprieties)

Follow Ups: