Re: Re: Re: WHICH F TUBA?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on October 26, 2003 at 20:18:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: WHICH F TUBA? posted by David Newbern on October 26, 2003 at 17:22:56:

I can play plenty softly on my Yamaha; softly enough so that the other members of my quintet are exposed by their lack of soft playing, but maybe that isn't too rigorous a standard.

I didn't mention the Gronitz because I've never seen one let alone played one, but I would like to have some time with one just out of curiosity. Ditto Hirsbrunner.

Everyone seems to have a particular idea of how they want an F to sound, and most folks have a much more particular idea than I do. The Yamaha is just plain easy to play, which for me means a higher percentage of right notes, better intonation, and more control over dynamics. Give me those, and any reasonably pretty sound will do. Any F that doesn't provide those things isn't that useful to me. But I fish at the shallow end of the pond.

I use my F as a workhorse tuba for when I need something small and for when I need to play up high accurately. Unlike those who can play up high on their CC with apparent ease, I'm not using an F just for its characteristic color. I usually try to relate my intentions in using an F when rendering opinions about them, but sometimes I forget.

Rick "whose F tuba allows him to play good quintet lit without missing (too many) notes" Denney

Follow Ups: