Re: Re: How to start Teaching

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by established studios on October 27, 2003 at 08:04:49:

In Reply to: Re: How to start Teaching posted by Wade (cut and paste) on October 27, 2003 at 00:02:14:

Wade has some very excellent comments! Even though I have been teaching already in the area, I plan to use many of them!

One other thing from my experiences I would suggest is to watch for openings at local studios. In addition to having some of my "own" students, I work as an independent contractor at two studios in the area. (They are, however, far enough apart that I am not causing conflicts! You have to watch this in contracts.) At one I make about $2 less than I would going on my own. This does not bother me, because $2 is worth the advertising and studio space, to me. At the other studio I make about $4 more than I would on my own, so in essence, the law of averages works in my favor.

One more suggestion -- if you play instruments other than tuba, do not be afraid to teach those instruments as well. I played several instruments and studied many privately in HS and college... this adds to my wallet each week. Initially I was annoyed that I didn't have all tuba students, but eventually I realized this was good. One must know the instruments, but it is also extremely important to help students develop as musicians. Look at Arnold Jacobs! He was the ultimate teacher and had students of all instruments (and voice) come to him for lessons! (Okay, that is slightly different... but nonetheless, consider what strengths being a tuba player might allow you to offer someone who plays the flute!) I believe if you have experience in anothe aea on your resume, don't fear beginning students.

FWIW.
-lisa

Follow Ups: