Re: Survey for 6/4 CC players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Adam Crowe on September 01, 1999 at 16:57:57:

In Reply to: Survey for 6/4 CC players posted by anon on September 01, 1999 at 14:03:51:

I started on a school owned Conn 4J in '89, and by the time I was in 9th grade I had gotten a Kalison Daryl Smith CC. I liked the Kalison until I started taking lessons and studying orchestral excerpts. Being above average in size, I outgrew the horn pretty quickly. It sounded great (albeit not the greatest horn to play in tune) until I wanted to torque it a bit, at which point the horn sounded like the seams would rip apart! My teacher had me play his horn, a Kurath CC that is the Willson CC today. I fell in love with playing a larger horn and eventually purchased a PT-6P about a year ago.

I know the PT-6 isn't a 6/4 instrument, but it's a good size 5/4. I use the PT-6 in the Coast Guard Band now and really like the sound I get out of it. It's big enough to provide a bottom for the band, yet lets me "torque" it a bit if I want to. I've played 6/4's like the Yorkbrunner and a couple Holtons and a Nirschl/York frankenstein horn, and all of them tend to keep that big puffy sound even when you push it a little.

Well, I got off the subject, but that's my opinion at least!

Follow Ups: