Re: Survey for 6/4 CC players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by T. J. Ricer on September 02, 1999 at 13:31:59:

In Reply to: Survey for 6/4 CC players posted by anon on September 01, 1999 at 14:03:51:

I, personally, feel that you can do just about anything on a large horn. The only horn I own is a Kalison 5/4. I have done orchestra, band, tuba quartet, brass quintet and solos on it. My thought is that if I can do all of this on my large horn it should be twice as easy when I get a smaller easier to play horn (I intend to buy a bass tuba in the near future). I prefer the sound of a large horn to a small horn in almost all situations. I even did the Gregson Concerto and Effie Suite on it (granted that this was probably not the best suited instrument to the pieces).

According to the Friedricson book, Jacobs didn't even consider doing anything on a smaller horn until a conductor suggested he try an F tuba. Even after that he did the Vaghn Williams many times on his 6/4 CC.

I prefer the sound and think that it is a good way to learn control. Doing everything first on a horn that takes more control from the player makes playing a smaller horn seem easy if you intend to eventually own multiple horns.

Just my opinions, I know that they are not shared by a great number of tubists, but this system seems to be working for me.

--T. J. Ricer

Follow Ups: