Re: Looking for Two BBb Miraphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 04, 1999 at 08:34:13:

In Reply to: Looking for Two BBb Miraphones posted by Ray on September 03, 1999 at 23:30:33:

You're probably not going to do much better than Brasswind's price of $3895 for a new S model 186. My advice would be to be REALLY careful in selecting the ones you decide to buy and definitely play test then first. The former dean of the high school I teach at (a tuba player) decided he wanted the school to have one of these tubas and went ahead and bought one on his own without consulting me first. The result was that we got a 4 valve CC 186 S model that plays very badly out of tune. The horn now sits on a shelf because nobody wants to use it. Good luck!

P.S.>Do I know the school in South East Florida that you're speaking of? One of the schools I teach at, where the above mentioned debacle happened, is the New World High School of the Performing Arts in downtown Miami. Maybe we've crossed paths before? I'm glad to hear that a program is taking the time and resources to get better equipment for the students here. It seems most tuba students here are relegated to highly inferior or out of date disfunctional equipment.

Follow Ups: