Re: Hang on, Jay B!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on September 13, 1999 at 20:19:27:

In Reply to: Hang on, Jay B!! posted by Dave on September 13, 1999 at 19:26:07:

Thanks for your kind words! I just spent the day with my wife putting up the storm shutters on our house. I'm just about to go watch the Dolphins-Broncos football game while I keep one eye trained on Floyd. Anyone who is reading this message that lives along the eastern seaboard of the United States, consider very carefully what you do the next few days. This storm is a KILLER! As a comparison, it is stronger than Andrew which hit here in 1992 and was a devastating storm. In addition to being stronger, it is 3 times as large. That means hurricane force winds to 150 miles from the eye and tropical storm force winds up to 300 miles from the eye. The comparison they're using here is that the storm easily covers all of the state of Florida. We're not too worried (but we are being very cautious) because they are saying the storm will turn northwest tonight. However, this storm would then be headed directly at North and South Carolina and will make Hugo (which hit in 1987 and devastated Charleston) look very small by comparison. Please, if you are in the projected path of the storm, be VERY careful and aware of your emergency plans. Let's all hope this is alot of worrying for nothing...

On a more personal note Dave, tell your parents to leave!!! I've been watching this storm and for a couple of days I've had the feeling it was going to hit around Daytona Beach. In any event, Melbourne is in grave danger and I hope your parents will get out of there and not risk it. Good luck to us all.

Follow Ups: