Re: Mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Daniel Bradley on September 21, 1999 at 21:57:52:

In Reply to: Mouthpieces posted by Chuck on September 21, 1999 at 14:48:36:

Heavyweight mouthpieces are generally intended for more advanced players. They can and have caused MANY problems in the playing of many players, including top flight pros that I won't mention. Most of these problems stem from the fact that heavy pieces tend to require more force to respond. A "kick start" is sometimes needed, and this can cause all sorts of explosive problems related to attacks. But many amazing players do use heavy mouthpieces. I think that players should only go in that direction with a good deal of caution.
Also important to know is that some of the current heavy weight moutpieces actually brighten the sound, so they don't even serve their intended purpose. Moutpieces such as the Bach Megatones and the R & S heavyweights haven't proven themselves as far as I'm concerned- but there probably are great players using them. The Monettes have proven themselves much more so- but they also carry a semi ridiculous price tag.
As for the skeletonized mouthpiece, the ones I've seen work beautifully for any playing up to about a MF, and then break up. They are particularly wonderful for soft playing passages because they respond very easily. You probably would need to ask to get one made for you. I've seen Schilke H's skeletonized, so ask them and they'll do it for you, I'm sure.

Dan

Follow Ups: