Re: Re: Re: Yet another CLUELESS parent...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on September 22, 1999 at 23:22:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Yet another CLUELESS parent... posted by Dale Phelps on September 22, 1999 at 17:15:54:

Yes, what Dale said, plus --

If your son (or anyone else, for that matter) can't quite decide on Dale's point #1 (What kind of sound are you after?) -- meaning that he's not entirely sure why he sounds the way he does, or what he likes or dislikes about his sound now -- it'll be much more difficult to pick out an instrument when shopping time comes around.

Even so, there will probably be a tuba that he won't want to put down once he plays on it, and that one would most often be the best choice. The tuba market these days will keep depreciation from being too bad if he decides to move to a different horn in the future and if you need to sell the current one to afford the new one.

Or, he could decide to stop playing altogether. It's because of that possibility that, if I were in the same position, I'd look for a solid low-cost used tuba for my kid, preferably one that's been recommended or referred by tuba-playing friends in town. There's nothing like having trustworthy friends to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

For me, the used tuba route worked great -- my parents made a minimal investment, I had plenty of time to decide if a new horn would do me any good, and if I didn't decide on music as a career I'd still have a good tuba to use as a hobby.

Seeya,
Leland

BTW, almost every brand of tuba in existence has been played to earn cash at some time or another. There's one out there that's just right for you.

Follow Ups: