Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mouthpieces

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Sanders on September 27, 1999 at 11:15:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mouthpieces posted by Joseph Felton on September 25, 1999 at 09:08:41:

The current model PT-4 is a totally different instrument than the long bell model which is no longer made. It is an unfortunate coincidence that they both have been called the PT-4. The current model is available as a rotary or a piston instrument. I have had considerable experience with both models and prefer the rotary personally. The "old PT-4" is no longer produced because it did not work very well in a large ensemble, tending to get lost in the texture below low C. I know this from personal experience, having tried one when I played in San Antonio. In my oppinion, the rotary version of the "new" PT-4 is a very fine 4/4 size instrument, far superior to the "old" one. To begin with, it can be heard in a reasonable size orchestra. It has a wonderful low register, a strong resonant tone quality, and very good intonantion. The workmanship is very good as is the finish, and the instrument plays easily. There are lots of other fine 4/4 size tubas out there as well, but this relates my experience with these instruments. Amen.

Follow Ups: