Re: STANDS: any info please?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 02, 2000 at 13:27:56:

In Reply to: STANDS: any info please? posted by Andrew on September 02, 2000 at 08:37:15:

The DEG Tuba Rest will work for holding the horn in playing position. Some have complained of slippage, but mine has worked reliably for ten years, holding up both a Miraphone and my 30-pound York.

That said, having the knob removed from the Besson would be a top priority for me. In fact, I have one sitting here on my desk that I removed from an ancient Besson about 15 years ago.

The K&M display stands are the best stands I've seen for holding horns upright. I have one that I bought from a Miraphone rep after the 1986 ITEC, but the newer ones are better: they fold up conveniently and have a reliable foam pad instead of the felt pad that' on mine. I've seen these for sale recently on ebay for about $90 each, which is ten bucks less than I paid for mine all those years ago.

Custom Music uses a platform with a notch to hold an edge of the bell. It is made of plywood and covered with carpet, and has a handle cut in one edge. The size of the platform is that of the bell, on it projects under the body of the horn to eliminate the tendency to tip. The notch is made with a plywood space and another piece of plywood that the edge of the bell slips under to keep it from tipping. The design minimizes most of the risks associated with standing a horn on its bell. I keep thinking I'm going to make a couple of these, but I've not had the compelling need. Of course, if your 24J has a forward bell, this won't do at all, but the K&M stand will work.

Rick "standing tall" Denney

Follow Ups: