Re: Re: Hypothetical Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark in Ohio on September 03, 2000 at 23:12:35:

In Reply to: Re: Hypothetical Question posted by Dave Zerkel on September 03, 2000 at 22:14:00:

To add to the thought above,

I assume that the goal of being a performance major is to perform. . .

And you don't need a degree of any sort to do that! Just chops. Ask my friend Pete in Japan. He can play his arse off & he's got gigs. He simply took lessons with the best cats he could find wherever he's been, and practiced. My hat's off to him!

I degreed in Music Education. While I am no longer a full-time teacher, I have no regrets for having "learned a trade"; the Education degree and experience on my Resume has taken me much further in other real-world pursuits than a "tuba performance" degree ever could have.

. . .Unless, of course, I was a world-class tuba player, which I'm not. I'm happy to be a "good" player with other interests in life that have developed over the years well after college.

Not to discourage you at all, Mr. curious. I just want to encourage you to spend your money well. If the big gig is your goal, ongoing private lessons with the best teachers are still cheaper than full college tuition anywhere!

Sincerely,
Mark in Ohio

Follow Ups: