Re: STANDS: any info please?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ed Heckman on September 04, 2000 at 11:05:10:

In Reply to: STANDS: any info please? posted by Andrew on September 02, 2000 at 08:37:15:

I agree with Klaus. The K&M stand is WONDERFUL! It holds the tuba bell up. This means that I don't have to worry about setting my tuba down fast and bending the bell. It also reduces the risk of wacking the bell on something as I pick it up or put it down. And getting the horn up and into position from the stand takes mere seconds.

Yes it's more expensive than the carpeted bell holder, but I think it's safer for the instrument. And THAT is the expensive part.

I use a VERY simple "stand" to hold my horn as I'm playing. It's a rubber connector designed to connect a 4" sewer pipe to a 3" sewer pipe. (No, it was NEVER actually installed. I bought it from my local home improvement store for this particular purpose.) I just place it between my legs with the wide end on the chair. Then the bottom of the tuba rests right on the narrow end.

I actually have two of these. One has been shortened by cutting off part of the narrow end. I just pick the appropriate one based on the chair I'm sitting on. I also made sure to remove the hose clamps that they came with. :-)

HTH.

Ed "What the" Heckman

Follow Ups: