Re: discouraged

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on September 06, 2000 at 16:20:47:

In Reply to: discouraged posted by anonymous on September 04, 2000 at 03:14:11:

I don't really have any comment about the usefulness of a performance degree in securing a career as a performer. There are others here who have addressed that from their considerably greater personal experience. However, should you ever decide to pursue a career outside the music field, your degree in performance is most certainly NOT worthless! As a computer programmer, I would say that 98% of what I've learned has been after college. When people in my business want to hire for entry level, they don't look for someone who has all the skills, but someone who can learn and is willing to work. One way to demonstrate that is by having obtained a college degree. Yes, we want the person to have a good head start at knowledge in the field, but that doesn't mean your degree has to be in computers. I know people with degrees not only in music, but meteorology, automotive engineering, and (I swear I'm not making this up) home economics who make very nice livings as computer programmers. They took a shot at their first choice of career, and found that it didn't work for them for one reason or another, and went back to take a few computer classes. They started at the bottom, but in a couple of years they were just like us C.S. and E.E. grads, with assignments, earnings and prospects based on the quality of their work and their possession of a college degree. ANY college degree.

Before you reach for your flamethrowers, I am not saying that no one without a degree is worth hiring or promoting; but plenty of companies DO feel that way. I will also tell you that there are MANY jobs that are 'degree required' that couldn't give two toots on a tuba WHAT degree it is, but if you don't have a sheepskin you can't get in the door.

Best wishes in whatever you may do,
Joe B.

Follow Ups: