Re: AUDITIONS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles Ortega on September 10, 2000 at 15:16:20:

In Reply to: AUDITIONS posted by TOO EMBARRASED on September 09, 2000 at 18:52:41:

Actually, I have had this happen more than once, and the outcome was positive, each time I can recall. Of course, I could have blocked out the bad memories! But still...
I remember auditioning for Texas All-State during my senior year in high school, and when the excerpts of the pieces were listed, I felt pretty good about all of them. I had gone over every piece many many times, or so I thought. The last excerpt was the whole last page of this piece (I can't recall the name) and I couldn't recall EVER seeing it before! Needless to say, I was pretty scared. But, my letter was N and we were going in alphabetical order. I sat there and fingered the excerpt furiously with each successive player, and when my time came up, I nailed it. Made 1st chair.
I can also recall procrastinating in college before auditions, and still doing pretty well.
Preparation is always the best way to go, but there are times when getting caught unawares is either unavoidable, or just how it is. When I go to gigs now, it isn't like they give you a week to learn the stuff. Usually, you get it at the rehearsal (which is the day of the gig) or the rehearsal is two or three days before the gig, and you get it on your stand at the rehearsal and then it is 1, 2, ready go...and that is it...you don't get to take the piece home and woodshed.
I think it is a good experience, albeit a hard one, to go through. That way you are more "prepared" the next time you are caught unawares...Those skills are good to hone...

Those of you who were there, must remember Gene Pokorny's lecture at the convention in Chicago a few years back. He said:
"How many of you want to be professional tuba players, raise your hand." We all raised our hands of course...
"How many of you have your horns here?" about half of us lowered our hands (me included)
"Okay, for those of you who still have your hands raised, who will come up and play something with me?" Everyone dropped their hands...Except Tony Kniffen. Gene Pokorny saw him and said, "Oh Tony, you already have a job, lower your hand..." But then no one else would come forward, so he agreed to let Tony play. I remember asking myself, if I'd had my horn, would I have done it? The answer at the time was NO. No way. Now, with a little more experience under my belt, I think I would take the chance, and sightread the piece with him. Incidentally, it wound up being this piece from the soundtrack to the Hunt for Red October, which he played on, and Tony nailed it.

I guess all of this is to say, PREPARE when you can, but remember sightreading is the rule of most gigs, and be ready to go, and take the chance. You never know, you might have done well on this audition. My own two cents...

cdo

Follow Ups: