Re: Range

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on September 14, 2000 at 11:21:56:

In Reply to: Range posted by Marc on September 13, 2000 at 08:44:28:

I was once told the range of the tuba is about 15 feet, plus the length of the arm.
But seriously, we have to distinguish between "possible range" and "practical range." Singing high notes through your horn, or flapping your lip at 2 cycles per second through a 7/4 tuba isn't necessarily practical. In my limited experience I have only once had to play as low as a DD (five lines below) except when dropping the last note of a piece to BBBb or CCC when appropriate. Of course a more skilled tubist can use the pedal range to greater advantage, but I've never had a conductor ask me to play lower. My high playing hasn't often gone above f1 (above staff) even in orchestral or small ensemble playing. Of course more experienced players will tell of pieces or performances when they had to squeak out something much higher, but for typical playing the tuba is used to its best advantage within the staff to an octave (or 9th) below. This according to Stauffer's marvelous "Treatise on the Tuba" which I have recently acquired, and heartily recommend. But I digress...
Like the man said, this isn't a contest.
MF

Follow Ups: