Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Richard on September 16, 2000 at 15:05:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bydlo posted by Tony Clements on September 16, 2000 at 09:57:55:

A Dehmal with this system is what Fritz Reiner purchased for the Chicago Symphony. When it arrived he ordered Mr. Jacobs to begin playing it immediately. The program that week contained Vaughan Williams' Pastoral Symphony, not a taxing or complex part under normal circumstances, but has a highly exposed thematic solo near the end of the 3rd movement which encompasses a 3 octave range at its conclusion. Naturally Jake sounded BEAUTIFUL on this piece, but hated the enforced regime of playing this instrument. He actually recorded the Reiner Tchaik 6 on this horn a few weeks later. Subsequently, a compromise was struck with the "Old Man." "If you don't like the Dehmal, find another F tuba that suits you better, but you'll play F tuba as long as I say so." Mr. Jacobs bought George Hamburg's 4-valve Alex F, and had Carl Geyer add three more. That was a great F that he kept until well into the 60's. I wonder who has it now. He let me use the Dehmal once for a performance of Debussy Fetes at Northwestern. Not for range-just for that unique sound. Maybe he hoped I'd lose it. I gave it back, but I hear no one has seen it for a while. . .

Follow Ups: