Re: Mason SOM, Rutgers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on September 17, 2000 at 22:55:32:

In Reply to: Mason SOM, Rutgers posted by Pete on September 15, 2000 at 04:36:51:

I received my Masters from MGSA a long time ago, in the B.M. (before Mendoker) era. Actually I was a bass trombone major not a tuba major and studied with Hal Janks from the Met. At that time Hal taught all the low brass. That of course has changed. I have heard nothing but great news from Rutgers since I left. They have really raised the performance program to a much higher level than when I was there (1984-86). The faculty is truly first class and you are just a short train ride from NYC, not to mention Dillon's Music is right down the road! The only thing you must be careful of is the beauracracy (sp?) of the university. Outside of the Mason Gross school it is a very large university and you are just a number. But I guess that would apply to most state universities, which is what Rutgers is. They just don't call it NJ State. Rutgers U. sounds much better!
If you are into college football though, forget it. Unfortunately, they are the door mat of the big east!
Seriuosly though, RU is definitely a school to check out if you are serious about music and performance. The faculty, ensembles and location are incredible.
I know that sounds like a prejudiced alum talking and perhaps I am a little biased but not too much. I had to work my butt off while I was there to catch up on music history. You take your history and theory classes with music history and theory majors, so the music academics are very tough. But you will know your stuff when you get out.
ken k MGSA '86

Follow Ups: