Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on September 21, 2000 at 00:57:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Willson 3050 posted by Jay Bertolet on September 20, 2000 at 21:17:25:

No secrets on this horn.

I have made it pretty clear that I don't fix up horns with the intention of selling them...too much thinkin' and workin' just for money. This is just one of those old B&M (German) made 4-piston .750" bore 4/4 York "Master"s. I yanked off the recording bell and bell tail and stuck on one of the elongated 19" Michigan York bells (30's vintage). I trimmed several inches off of the bottom of the bell to get it to fit, to start it on its way to CC, and to get the "squat" shape that I am fond of. So far, it still has all of the dents, a funko mouthpipe, and is in BB (natural), but IT PLAYS LIKE A DREAM:

* "F tuba" facility and flexibility (like I have NEVER before experienced on a contrabass)
* all of the best choice intonation compromises and FLEXIBLE intonation
* ringing (as I have described) yet FAT sound
* socko low notes

*more reasons why I ditched my HB4/4 after a few months - I have been trying to find a Marzanish CC for a LONG time that maybe played like a Marzan but even better. I think I may have it here...

...HEY!, I'm not just a "B.A.T. Master". You should see the GORGEOUS 4+1 EEb York (small bore / 20" bell) that is floating around somewhere in the Columbus, Ohio area. After I fixed it all up, one of my friends told me "That sure was a ---- of a lot of time that you spent on that thing." I then made a wager with him that if I advertized it for $X, I could sell it for $X within 90 days. I indeed did, which was stupid...' learned my lesson...

...I WILL admit that I DO have a B.A.T. project "under wraps" (hidden in the Nevada desert in a locked hanger). I will discuss that instrument only after it is completed. It is NOT of any particular brand, as there are a LOT of different parts. I will say that the REASON that I have decided to work on this B.A.T. is because I discoved a set of body branches that actually PLAYS IN TUNE (really!!!). Just because of that, I have decided to build myself this "beast", even though I do not need it. Finally, I will admit that I am trying to ALSO make this a squat instrument, which among true B.A.T.s would be fairly unique, I think.

A couple of other things, too, but in line BEHIND these...Again, none for sale.

Follow Ups: