Re: Help, screw rim is stuck!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Walters on September 21, 2000 at 22:04:49:

In Reply to: Help, screw rim is stuck! posted by Archieacassidy on September 20, 2000 at 12:46:49:

I will share with you how we would typically solve your problem at Dillon Music. We have delrin (plastic) collets that fit the shanks of different mouthpieces. Fit he mouthpiece into the collet. Insert the collet into the jaws of the lathe and tighten the jaws. That holds the mouthpiece secure without scaring the shank. Then fit a strap wrench (I prefer canvas or cotton wicking to the reinforced rubber strap.) around the rim. Hold the strap wrench secure with the right hand and spin the lathe chuck backwards with the left hand.
Now if memory serves me right, Dougs mpcs have the shank made from hex stock. That means, instead of a collet in a lathe, a set of plastic jaw protectors in a vice will let you grip the shank up on the hex area and not chew anything up. Then use a strap wrench you bought ($1 to $10) or borrowed to turn the rim. In fact, once the shank is secured, you may have enough leverage to just grip the rim and turn it by hand.
Now that I just remembered we are talking about a 3 piece mouthpiece and not a 2 piece,... never mind.
Actually, I would secure the shank just as I said. Then I would use 2 strap wrenches. One on the cup and the other on the rim.
Just offering a different perspective to the mallet tap.
Matt Walters

Follow Ups: