Re: compensating Eb tuba for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on September 25, 2000 at 01:21:16:

In Reply to: compensating Eb tuba for sale posted by Scott on September 24, 2000 at 17:56:15:

I well understand your discomfort with the 3+1 set up. I played 5 valve horns (mirafone) since '80, and ran into the same problem. I ended up with the besson 981 (3+1) and am very happy (returned a new Wilson before finding this one on this bbs). Took some getting used to, especially in quintet (was easy in brass band but then the treble cleff parts made the 3+1 make sense somehow). The facing of the bell is the only complaint I have but I do not intend this for orchestra use so that is of no consequence. Recently I picked up a 5 valve CC with the whole step 5th and am again getting used to something new (nothing at all like the mirafone which I am so comfortable). Things like "the ride", which once came so effortlessly now require intense thinking, but I can see the other side of the 1-2 step setup. If the horn is a player, it is worth mastering the idosyncrasies.

If your ONLY complaint is the 3+1 system, I'd suggest giving it more of a chance. If there are other objections (direction of bell, hassel getting it into a gig bag and the like), then I'm sure you'll find a buyer. Lots of brass bands out there these days.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: