Re: euphs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Euph vet on September 28, 2000 at 23:08:28:

In Reply to: euphs posted by fred on September 28, 2000 at 21:15:54:

I have played either a Yamaha, Besson, or a Willson for roughly the last 20 years. The one Hirshbrunner Euph that I played last Spring had a slightly darker, albeit less centered sound (if that's believable) than the "darkest" horn on the market, the Willson Euphonium. With previous students, I have noticed HUGE differences in sound that were created just by the change of mouthpiece. This only makes sense, seeing that the mouthpiece is the starting place for all of the sound.

You are on a Bowman mouthpiece right? If you and Dr. Bowman drove the same model car, would your rear view mirror be at the exact same angle of his? Would your seat be at exactly the same place? Would your steering wheel be at the exact same angle and depth?

This is just an example, but honestly, we all play much differently primarily because we are all physically different. The Bowman mouthpiece is designed for Dr. Bowman. Have you ever heard Dr. Bowman live? He has an AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL (almost ethereal) sound, but I would hardly classify it as a "dark" sound when compared to other euphonium players. Listen to Michael Colburn or Robin Taylor, maybe this is what kind of "dark" sound you are striving to obtain. Certain performers such as Steven Mead and Bob Childs will have a "sweet and brilliant" sound, this is the hallmark of the Besson Sovereign line, but it is not a "dark" horn either.

Have you tried many mouthpieces? This is a much cheaper fix than buying a new horn, and trust me....I've seen many a player waste money on a new horn looking for a darker sound. Remember this, you will never be completely happy with your sound.

WHAT I'D DO IF I WERE YOU....

Go to an outlet that has lots of mouthpieces. Play the Bordogni/Rochut exercises down an octave, try the Pilafian exercises on "bugling" starting in the low range of the horn and work your way up. You should notice a large difference in your upper range (and lower range) as a result (it should sound "darker" and more centered).

As for the Nirschl horn, I am not familiar with it at all.

As for the Mirafone...TOO long, TOO un-centered, and GASTLY out of tune. This horn sounds like a Don Ellis experiment in quarter tones. I can only make the comment about these horns prior to two years ago and they were absolutely awful then. I can't imagine that they could afford to scrap the entire line. The King 2280 euphonium is a better horn than the Mirafone euphonium. Heck, so is the King Falcone model Baritone Horn (bell front).....

As for the Sterling Perantucci...I once heard a story that a Creole lady put some kind of voodoo magic on that horn in order to curse players of the instrument. I've had colleagues who have tried the horn and are actually playing on a lower musicianship level now because of their five-minute experience with it. That horn is evil incarnate. That horn is like Medussa or a metal clarinet. Do not touch it, do not speculate about it, do not contrive fantasies about, and most importantly, NEVER LOOK DIRECTLY AT IT.

Hope this helps

:)

Follow Ups: