Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alexander Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on September 29, 2000 at 13:40:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Alexander Tubas posted by A Guy in CA on September 29, 2000 at 12:45:09:

Perhaps our priorities are different. You're exactly right, playing tuba is more than pushing buttons, and it is more than having your pitch continue to be your highest priority with an out-of-tune horn. I would rather play a horn with a great sound that is in tune than play a horn with a great sound but need to learn a whole new set of fingerings and embochure contortions out of the norm. Believe it or not, Guy, there are better things to think about while playing, instead of "Does this G occur quick enough for me to use a 35 cent flat open fingering or do I really need to squeeze in a 1 and 3 combination. Do I think anyone will notice?" Trust me when I say I had stupidly bought a horn that needed such digit kung fu and got tired of it pretty quick. I now play a horn that lets me express myself without wondering if it's ME that's out of tune.

I'm pretty sure people don't destroy those purported awful horns I allude to. They cost too much. They sure as hell do sell them awful quick though, when the pitch of the instrument detracts fromt the real purpose of playing it in the first place. Maybe rude old me is more inclined to give my personal experience more credit (than) something I read somewhere written by someone I don't know, but then, that's probably just me...

Follow Ups: