Re: Sharp Rims vs. Rounded?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on September 29, 2000 at 19:20:41:

In Reply to: Sharp Rims vs. Rounded? posted by Andrew on September 29, 2000 at 09:47:22:

I use "sharp" rimmed mouthpieces. I personally believe that they help me define what I am doing at the place that it matters most - the embouchure.

The "sharp"-rimmed tuba mouthpieces are QUITE rounded, in comparison to "sharp" rimmed trumpet and trombone mouthpieces.

I have given some rounded-rimmed mouthpieces with NICE sounding cups, throats, and backbores a good "go" (try), but just can't seem to get the accuracy that I can from a really nicely-made (overall) "sharp"-rimmed mouthpiece. The round-rimmed ones are quite comfy, but I just can't tell what's "going on" when I use them.

NO "production" tuba mouthpiece has a "sharp" enough rim to make someone sore, anymore than prolonged contact with ANY shaped smooth piece of metal would, IMO.

After all of this, don't be afraid (I've said all of this before.) to spend some money trying out different mouthpieces (with whatever rims). They are W-A-A-A-A-Y cheaper (even in the shortrun) than woodwind instrument reeds (which get thrown away - some even prior to use, do to unusability), and QUITE easy to "ebay away" to others at little end financial loss.

Follow Ups: