Re: Re: Re: wood vs. molded plastic hard case?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dmmorris on October 01, 2000 at 14:05:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: wood vs. molded plastic hard case? posted by Zanne on September 30, 2000 at 18:58:36:

My roadtrip case is made of thin, lightweight 1/8" plywood. Originally, it was one of those cheap funnel shaped cases you get for your Besson upright 3-valve BBb tuba. This one was literally coming apart at the seams...and was a freebee, (previously destined for the trash heap). You use West System Epoxy (http://www.westsystem.com/) and staples to reconstruct, then you lay-up a layer of fiberglass matting over the plywood using the same two-part epoxy. This is the same stuff they build boats out of...it's strong! I can't say enough good things about this epoxy. New hardware, clasps, handles and a scateboard truck on the bell end and I get good dent free mobility. I've ripped out the old padding on the inside so that it's down to bare wood. My B&S w/ gigbag fits inside. I'm thinking of taking the case and my tuba down to one of those shipping places and having them do a foam inject top & bottom so it'll be form fit to my tuba just like they do with electronics. Although this case is not strong enough to withstand the rigors of airline bagage handlers, it will hold up well in the back of the equipment van with everyone elses junk piled on top.....my gigbag won't do that!

Follow Ups: