Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Manhattan School of Music ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on October 03, 2000 at 22:11:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Manhattan School of Music ? posted by john doe on October 03, 2000 at 20:57:11:

I couldn't agree more:

"Granted, these "pot shots" should be done privately, lets not try to shoot some guy down because he disagrees with you."

Well, maybe I could agree more. I agree with the first half of what you said, just like I stated earlier. But I have no intention of shooting anybody down because I disagree with them. This isn't about winning, it's about learning. It's just like I posted before, we can disagree without being disagreeable. I took issue with the insulting and anonymous remarks, not the opinions held. There is a huge difference between saying that a teacher can't play (especially when he supposedly can) and saying that a teacher's techniques are "not for me". There is also a huge difference in saying either of these in a public forum versus a private email. One response is civil and promotes dialogue and an exchange of ideas. The other is flat insulting and starts an argument. In this case, all the questionable comments, as in comments that are disparaging to the individual they are about, could have been exchanged privately and without insulting anyone publicly.

By the way, I really hope you're right about there being a "righteous order of tuba professionals". I would love to be a member of that group! Maybe we could even get our own superhero? But seriously, there are plenty of professional players who play in a way that I'm not crazy about. Just like there are plenty of painters who have painted masterpieces I don't like. After all, this is art we're talking about and what appeals to me may not appeal to the next guy. And that makes neither of us right or wrong. But discussing things in a civil and respectful manner at least affords the possibility that we'll learn from each other's viewpoints and grow ourselves.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: