Re: shipping a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on September 01, 2001 at 07:05:19:

In Reply to: shipping a tuba posted by louis on September 01, 2001 at 00:38:17:

Actually I find it best to ship a tuba separately from the case. Banging around in a hard case can cause real damage. I have shipped a few tubas, although not as many as a store would, and haven't had any problems when properly packed. If it has a detachable bell, I always ship in two parts. I always put the horn in a plastic garbage bag, then wrap a couple of layers of bubble wrap around it. Then you need a box that has at least 3 inches of clearance from every point of the wrapped tuba. Put a layer of plastic packing peanuts in the bottom of the box, then put the tuba in and fill the rest of the space with packing peanuts. I also put extra sheets of cardboard around and on top of the bell to strengthen that part of the box. Tape the whole thing up securely and you can be comfortable with any shipper. The hardest part is finding a box large enough depending on the tuba. Then, depending on the size, you are limited as to what shipping company will take it. I have never had any damage to tubas shipped in the US using UPS, the Post Office, or FEDEX when packed this way.

Follow Ups: