Re: Getting the kid a tuba - still

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on September 01, 2001 at 16:47:29:

In Reply to: Getting the kid a tuba - still posted by Tom T. on September 01, 2001 at 15:42:39:

Hello Tom T.,
I live near Reading, PA. Earlier this summer there was a gentleman who had a miraphone 186 for sale nearby. I went to look at it with a student, but we decided to wait and see. Anyway this horn was from about 1977, included a case and a tuba stand for $3000. The only problem with the horn was noisy valve linkage. It had the older "S" shaped linkage arms. The horn had a few dents but they were rolled out and it was actually in pretty good shape. It played well like a typical Miraphone. I do not know how far you are from PA, but it would be a horn you could look at. The price seemed a bit high but did include the original miraphone hard case and stand, but you would probably want to get some valve work doen to it to quiet them down.

As for King 2341s I know they are not the most "exotic" horns out there, but do not be hypnotized by the rotary "mistique." Many people (youngsters, esp.) feel that since rotary valves are different or less common, they must be better than piston valves; and they just have to have a rotary valved horn. I am not saying pistons are better or don't buy a rotary horn. All I'm saying is that rotary valves are not necessarily better than piston valved horns, they are just different. You will find proponents on both sides of the fence. I really like the sound of the King 2341. It is a very sturdy horn and the intonation of it is very consistent. Like I said it is not very fancy but gets the job done very well. Also, if you were to buy a used King and in two years or so you just decide you want something different, you could easily sell it and should be able to get your money back on the horn since they usually have a strong loyal following (assuming it is in good condition). Personally I like the King better than the Yamaha 321, due to the awkward size and playing position of the Yamaha.

As for the Musica horns, I am not totally sure but I believe they are made by the VMI company (Germany) or the Czerveny company (Czech Rep.) and are stamped Musica for sale in the US by the UMI corp.(United Musical Instruments, makers of Conn, King and Benge brasses). got all that? Someone else on the BBS could probably enlighten us more. VMI tubas seem to have a strong following so if they are made by VMI that would probably be a good thing. Czervenys are decent horns for the price, but are inconsistent. I have played really nice ones and I have played some bad ones, so be sure you play it first or have a teacher play it for you. They also tend to have pretty thin guage brass construction.

Hope I did not confuse you more, please feel free to reply with any other questions you may have.

ken k

Follow Ups: