Re: Getting the kid a tuba - still

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on September 01, 2001 at 17:01:10:

In Reply to: Getting the kid a tuba - still posted by Tom T. on September 01, 2001 at 15:42:39:

Hi Tom T.,

I'll intersperse my rather LENGTHY comments, noted , within your post:

[snip]
Here is our current (misguided?) thinking.
1. Yes we can get the tuba we are looking for at around $3000.

Most likely, with some patience. It may take a few months to find a used one in good condition at that price (as when hunting any used tuba).

2. We should get a used BBb, 4 valve, 4/4 tuba.

With patience, you should be able to find a good used tuba. 4 valves is a must. 4/4 is what you'll most likely find in your price range. Note: some of the music stores listed on "that" page of this web site do have new MW 25's for $3700-$3800, plus case, plus shipping. So if you add $1K to your target price, you can buy a new one. Also, the new King 2341 (non-detachable bell version -- see the Dillon web site for photos) is around $3500 without case.

3. We are leaning toward rotary valves.

This is a "trendy" sort of thing. 20-30 years ago, rotary valves were all the rage. Today it's piston valves. I personally prefer rotary, others prefer piston. There is a difference in the "manual dexterity" sense and in the resulting sound of one or the other, but these are minor differences. I'd make this issue secondary over the overall sound of the tuba. See next answer.

4. We should look for a used Miraphone 186 or a Meinl Weston 25.

These are two great BBb tubas, and have been well thought of for decades. If you also consider the VMI3301 (4V piston) and the new King 2341 (4V piston), these are all good choices. VMI also has a model (2301?) that is respectable, and runs around $3K NEW. It's a 4 rotary valve instrument. You might type up a separate post and ask about it specifically. I've never played one.

Note: The shape of the bell flare on the "German" BBb tubas (typically the 4/4 rotary valved horns) provides a slightly different type of sound than what you'll get from, say a King 2341, which has a larger bell diameter, and a "faster flaring" bell at the end. The "German/rotary" shape seems to have a little more focused sound that may be easier to hear or "pick out" in a large ensemble. The King 2341's "traditional American" sound will provide a broader/warmer/more "foundational" sound that tends to blend in more with the overall sound of a larger ensemble(i.e. doesn't stand out as prominently). There are folks who strongly prefer tubas of each "style". Neither type of sound is better/worse -- just a different concept. I like both "voices", and each has its pros/cons. In a high school band setting, I used to play the Miraphone 186 (Jr. Hi) and the Meinl Weston 25 (high school), and I like how these sound and play. But I'm very intrigued with the new King 2341 as well. Since I plan to use my "soon to be purchased BBb" frequently in a quintet, I think the more focused sound of the rotary BBb tubas might fit in better, being more similar to the character of the sound of the other instruments. A quintet doesn't need a broad/warm foundation perhaps (IMO). Were I playing in a community band or pit orchestra as my PRIMARY use for a BBb, I would probably favor the King 2341's voice, but that's just my preference and my definition of when/why to use one vs. the other.

Unfortunatly, I don't think there is one that fits all of the above criteria on the Internet and I still haven't found a single used tuba for sale locally.

Finding a good used tuba (esp. BBb) on the Internet can take a few months.

What we have found raises the following questions:

The Kid doesn't want any an Amati ABB-321, a Yamaha 321, a Cerveny 681 or a Cerveny 686. He puts these below his minimum requirements. Is this prejudice or sound reasoning?

As an active adult amateur player, I do believe the Miraphone 186, Meinl Weston 25, the VMI 3301 and the King 2341 tubas are better quality instruments than those you've just mentioned. My impression is that the "Kid" is employing "sound prejudice", being properly prejudiced towards better quality instruments.

Although he's leaning towards rotary valves, there are some King 2341UBs out there which he is considering. Could he find happiness with one of these?

Yes. Dillon's has a couple of used, older King 2341's with detachable bells. These are more awkward to carry around as there are two cases -- one for the tuba "body" and one for the bell. The older model King 2341 is considered to be a very good tuba for students or adult amateurs. I personally think the Miraphone and Meinl Weston tubas are probably a little better quality. But the "NEW" King 2341 has been generating a lot of interest. I'm inclined to lump it into the same category (quality wise) as the Miraphone, Meinl Weston and VMI 3301, but I haven't played one to know for sure.

What about the Musica 2300WC? We know nothing about this model.
Don't know. Almost never discussed here. Probably not in the same class as the ones you're considering.

Hope that's somewhat helpful.

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: