Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NYC Music Schools?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by way down in Kokomo on September 01, 2001 at 22:59:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: NYC Music Schools? posted by js on September 01, 2001 at 21:32:12:

Sadly, the "real" Kokomo is nowhere near the Florida Keys . . . .

Point well taken -- a cultural mecca would be a good place to study the arts, due to a multitude of performing opportunities. But if (hypothetically) the only folks in NYC or LA were PERFORMERS, then there would be limited appeal to try to *study* in these locations, even though there would still be lots of performing opportunities. If there are qualified TEACHERS in these locations (and indeed there seem to be) then they would/should be good places to go, assuming you can afford to live there! However, I would still think you'd pursue the "package deal", and go seek the professor that you think has the most to offer you, along with the "perks" of the community where the particular school is located, and then also consider the cost. So it's probably going to be a combination of factors. For example, Bloomington, IN, isn't much more of a cultural mecca than Kokomo is (or it wouldn't be if it weren't for that little university that they've got there), but I hear tell it's not that bad of a place to study tuba. ;-)
I wonder how many of those "top ten tuba schools" in the recent thread are in large metropolitan areas, vs. "boring" places like Kokomo.

The good news is that the original poster might be able to live at home while studying with a good professor in a decent school. In this case, s/he has the best possible combination of benefits, as the housing expense might be minimal.

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN
microscopic culture in a petri dish....

Follow Ups: