Re: "Blind Date" with a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 03, 2001 at 03:08:59:

In Reply to: "Blind Date" with a tuba posted by Bugalugs on September 03, 2001 at 01:07:26:

I have tried out 3 out of my 7 low conical brasses before buying.

The B&H Imperial Brit style baritone and the YEP641 euph are still to be considered top notch instruments. The Conn 26K just is very, very good.

The resting four have been bought untested:

The York Master BBb bought from a southern state, incorporating North in its name, looks like a disaster, which would have induced some serious court calling, had this not been prohibited by some ponded distance. But this instrument plays.

The B&H 981 Eb made on order happened to be even better than the try-out specimen.

The Conn 40K (anno 1927) reworked by and bought from Wichita Band Instruments Co. had some slightly less beautiful than promised pistons. And a terrible 2+3 fingering response, which could be remedied by some filing of the rim of the 3rd valve water key protusion (which had an unproductive and unintended radial groove).

The Kanstul Custom line G baritone bought used from a Florida antiques dealer had a few more dents than told of. But it still is a remarkable tool for making music.

The North/South cheating has been equaled by another deal, which I have previously mentioned on this board. A mentioning which made the owner of the company in question mail me personally. I gave a clear and foundated answer to that personal mail.

With exactly one result: This company has since then kept an unusually low profile on this board.

To avoid misinterpretations: I have never exchanged anything but rough wordings, no goods, no $$$, with this Mid/South Salemanburger, who makes these wonderful tuba/sousa/helicon reconstructions. Which he by principle should keep his hand off in one specific field: the BBb to CC conversions.

Klaus

Follow Ups: