Re: "Blind Date" with a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Been there on September 03, 2001 at 09:05:42:

In Reply to: "Blind Date" with a tuba posted by Bugalugs on September 03, 2001 at 01:07:26:

When you buy directly from any of the dealers on this list, you can expect to get exactly what was offered. A few of the individual dealers will tell you if their particular example of a "XYZ" plays darker or brighter than average and how the intonation is when they play it. If you ask, they can help you get a good match.
When you buy something private party or offered on Ebay, expect it to be exactly as posted. "As is" ususally means there are some defects and that the item would be no more than what was presented in the picture. If there were extra mouthpieces, slides, gig bag or cases, it would have been mentioned or photographed. Like buying a used car from a private individual or from a dealership's "As traded" lot, don't be surprised if you will need to have some work done on your newly acquired "bargain" purchase. That is why it is cheaper. If the seller wanted to spend time and money fixing everything they knew was wrong with the horn, they'd want a better return on their investment. If you buy new or fully serviced used from an established dealer you can rightfully expect the horn to be fully functional and have the playing characteristics the merchant discribed over the phone. Having bought several tubas sight unseen, I got exactly what I expected, each time. Don't order a KIA (biding on Ebay) and be disapointed it wasn't as nice as a Lexus. I can't afford to be cheap. So for larger items that I expect to keep and use for years to come, I've learned to pay a fair price from an establised business, and have gotten great service before and after in exchange for paying an extra 1 or 2%. When I buy something at a bargain price from the "Where is, As is" section, I don't blame anyone but myself if I don't like it after I get it home. If you are serious, call or Email some dealers and tell them what you are playing, what you want, and the money you can spend. You can get a fair deal.

Follow Ups: