Re: New versus Old

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 06, 2001 at 07:07:16:

In Reply to: New versus Old posted by Eric Ferreira on September 06, 2001 at 03:17:08:

I think you haven't gotten a lot of comments because Kalisons can be a sore spot for some folks. One reason is because of the main importer of the horn into the U.S. and another may be their somewhat subpar performance at times. I, personally, am not a fan of their old instruments and I have not tried their new ones so my viewpoint is a little biased against the older models and un-founded in regards to the new line. You do have a few different scenarios available.
1) Sell your horn and buy a new horn.

2) Keep your horn and buy a new horn.

3) Sell your horn and buy a GOOD used horn.

4) Keep your horn and buy a GOOD used horn.

Each scenario has it's pro's and con's. Realistically look to get about $3K for your horn. However, try to sell it for more and have room to negotiate. Or, just start saving now and buy a new horn and sell the Kalison if you feel you no longer need it. Nowadays, you can get a lot of horns for under $7K new like:

VMI-Mel Culbertson Neptune (Rotary or piston) Just under $7K. (6/4)
MW 2155 Around $7K (big 4/4)
MW 2145 Between $5-$6K (small 4/4)
MW 32 Between $5-6K (large 4/4)
Conn 52J or 56J $5-$6K (4/4)
Rudy Meinl 3/4 $5-6K (I think)
Rudy Meinl 4/4 $6-7K (I think)
Miraphone 186-5U (pro) $5K (4/4)
Miraphone 188-5U (pro) $6K (big 4/4)
Alexander 163 $7K (small 5/4)
Gronitz PCK Under $7K (?) (5/4?)

I'm sure there are others but they don't come to mind right now. If you go used subtract $500-1500 off of new for a horn in good shape depending on the manufacturer. German horns are a good value new right now as the Mark is weak versus the strength of the Dollar. Yamaha horns are expensive new right now and the used market with them varies greatly. The best Yamaha CC out there right now is the new YCB-861 (rotary) which doesn't pop up used very often at all (last one I remember was Matt Walter's about 2 years ago I think) and it costs around $9K new. The YCB-822 (piston) gets mixed reviews. I owned one and I thought the sound was excellent, but the intonation was very tough to manage. Overall, I think you could afford to upgrade greatly with about a $2-3K cost out of pocket. I bought a MW32 that won't be leaving my possesion for a long time to come. I think it was around $5600 new and does everything I need from a tuba right now. If you wanted to make it easier on yourself, you could get a little more money together and trade the horn in. That way you don't have to have the headache of shipping a horn out two or three times and waiting for it to sell. Call one of the respected dealers (Dillon's, Baltimore Brass, WW and BW, BM tubastore, TubaWerks, or some of the others under the shops section and see what feedback they have for you.
Good Luck,
Matt G

Follow Ups: