Re: New versus Old

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on September 06, 2001 at 07:13:01:

In Reply to: New versus Old posted by Eric Ferreira on September 06, 2001 at 03:17:08:

Firstly, the perfect, problem-free horn doesn't exist at any price. There is always a compromise to be made between sound, response and intonation. Some horns (old Alexanders) require a lot of work to play in tune - but players do it because they like the sound. I haven't found many horns that could not be played in tune, but some are easier to play than others. If I were you I'd:

1. Find a good teacher.

2. Develop your ear, and develop the best strategies to get the problem notes in tune, be it lipping, alternate fingerings or slide pulling. Try one of the perfect pitch or tuning courses. If you can't hear in tune, you can't depend upon the instrument to play in tune.

3. Save your money and try your best to be a world-beater with what you have. The effort invested in mastering this horn will pay dividends later when you can afford something better.

4. When you can afford a better instrument, go to one or more of the established, reputable dealers and try many horns, rather than deciding on a particular make or model
based on someone else’s opinion.

Follow Ups: