Re: Buying the Kid a Tuba - down to 2.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on September 06, 2001 at 11:51:12:

In Reply to: Buying the Kid a Tuba - down to 2. posted by Tom T. on September 04, 2001 at 19:17:02:

Objectively, you can't go far wrong with either the used King 2341 or the new VMI 2103. Your choice might as well hinge on personal preference (new and shiny - for how long? - vs battered - and already depreciated!) (or, rotary vs piston) (or...whatever catches your son's eye or ear).

I've played both, and I have teenaged sons. Based on that experience, I would give a slight edge to the bright and shiny new VMI 2103. You mentioned earlier (I think) that your son thinks he prefers rotaries. I don't think it realy matters (I prefer pistons, myself) - but if he thinks it matters, then it matters to him. A new instrument (get a CASE!) may inspire him to take better care of it, and to practice more. The VMI is a very nice sounding instrument, and will look and feel "sophisticated" to him, and his friends.

The King may be a better bargain - but it is a bit clunkier to deal with (removable bell, two cases, heavy collar, etc.) and it is a "discontinued" model (the NEW King 2341 is on my short list for my next tuba). There's the danger that your son may look at it as not a very large step up from a "school-owned" instrument (the old King 2341's that I've seen *are* school-owned...and were just replaced by (wait for it...) VMI 2103's!

Hmmm...anyone in the market for a couple of used "band room" King 2341's? The local school might be interested in dealing.

Follow Ups: