Re: Re: Re: Buying the Kid a Tuba - down to 2.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 06, 2001 at 12:35:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Buying the Kid a Tuba - down to 2. posted by Leland on September 06, 2001 at 11:41:33:

You are right, of course. On another planet, I write a Q&A column for Triathlete Magazine about bicycles. Triathletes exceed tuba players (it's true!) when it comes to excessive analaysis. Have you ever seen a tuba player wear a heart-rate monitor? But in addition to the analytical parameters a prospective buyer should use, I ALWAYS include the general directive to buy the bike that makes you feel fast, or look fast, or want to ride the bike. I have many more bicycles than tubas, but there's one that gives me a thrill when i ride it, and it's the one that most often goes out the door with me. It doesn't fit any better, and it's not more efficient or an any measurable way superior, but I thank myself for buying every time I ride it.

BUT, I pick the bike that makes me drool only after eliminating those that don't meet the analytical requirements.

I think the same approach works for tubas. Many horns would just be wrong for a variety of reasons, or too risky for consideration. Once you eliminate those, however, he is free to pick the one that excites him, and it is okay for that excitement to be based on completely emotional responses to the shininess, the bell size, the valve type, the history of the horn, or whatever it is that thrills him.

Rick "thinking a positive placebo effect is still a positive effect" Denney

Follow Ups: