Re: Duet for Euph and Tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 07, 2001 at 07:16:12:

In Reply to: Duet for Euph and Tuba? posted by John on September 06, 2001 at 19:37:34:

If the eupher of you can read treble clef concert an octave (or sometimes even two) down, you will have an inroad to a literarily unemptily pool of Baroque sonatas for violin, oboe, flute, and recorder plus basso continuo. Of course the tubist would have to read an octave down occassionally or constantly. But that would be a minor problem, I guess.

The Baroque also has a smaller number of pieces and movements for cello/bassoon solo and basso continuo. A more humble, non-competition ripe sample can be found through the link given below. Please go for the Vivaldi Largo.

Having the background, that I actually have, I can not avoid recommending the addition of a chord instrument to the execution of such Baroque pieces. The doubling of the piano left hand and the tuba could constitute a problem in many musical aspects, foremostly intonation. The use of a harpsichord, let it be electronical for my sake, would diminish such problems through a faster decay of volume. My favourite is the classical guitar. Which also could be electronically reinforced. The Ovation flat bowl Viper model is one among other fine samples of that.

In my rendition of the Vivaldo Largo, I have used modern guitar notations. Other editions might call for some more sophisticated reading abilities from the guitarist. Including the reading of cyphered continuo lines.

Klaus

Follow Ups: