Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your ultimate horn collection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on September 09, 2001 at 20:56:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your ultimate horn collection posted by Pete on September 09, 2001 at 19:22:38:

Dave Dorrough bought the Marzan for the school from Custom in 1976. I played it as a basic student in 1985 and can attest to it's charm. What people forget are all the horns that went out to auction. I personally saw a Rudy 5/4 CC, 3 186 BBb's and a Conn 3J sold at a DRMO auction in 1993 for the total price of $850.00. This was a rare occasion, as most deadlined instruments go to other bands or prisons. These were sold at auction without that. I doubt that will ever happen again. In the late 80's when I taught there, myself and a couple of students were going throught the tubas and came upon the very same Conn Pete eluded to and a wonderful 21J that hadn't been played in years. They even had a spare upright bell. A wonderful tuba. Also there was a 4 valve Martin Eb set up like a Besson. A real jewel!! They also had a complete set of sarrousaphones, two bass saxes, and some basse-saxhorns in Eb and BBb that were terrible. Wonder where all that stuff ended up.

Follow Ups: