Re: Willson Eflat mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on September 10, 2001 at 13:17:49:

In Reply to: Willson Eflat mouthpiece posted by SteveC on September 09, 2001 at 15:24:33:

I won't pretend that my knowledge of mouthpieces is all that great. For example, I'm not the least bit familiar with the Laskey; Dillon; or the PT series of mouthpieces that were all mentioned by Jay Bertolet (a very helpful person!). Those m.p.'s just never make their way over to the left coast. However, I'll add my two cents anyway.

My guess is that since you're coming from the bass trombone, you're not wanting a m.p. that's terribly wide. If I'm correct in making that assumption, you might want to try the Miraphone TU09, which is the current copy of the old Miraphone C2. Since it's not a wide m.p. (I believe 31 mm), it is compensated by being quite deep. Since it's one of the m.p.'s I use on my B&H compensating Eb, I can tell that the low C and Bb are both quite good. However, it's not a great m.p. if you're wanting fat low G's; F's; and E's. For that purpose, I like the Dennis Wick 1L. However, the Dennis Wick 1L will definitely make your high range a bit more challenging.

The old Miraphone C2 strikes me as a cross between the Bach 25 (just too funnel like - almost like a french horn m.p.), and the famous Conn Helleberg 7B - only with Miraphone's far more comfortable, somewhat rounded rim. It's an old favorite of mine.

. . for what it's worth,

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: