Re: Re: Re: Speaking of recording bells...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on September 11, 2001 at 02:14:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Speaking of recording bells... posted by GC on September 10, 2001 at 22:29:34:

"--- who believes that bell angle affects the playing qualities of the instrument, and that you should go with the angle that makes the horn respond the best."

A most interesting notion!

Have you made spectral analysises of how overtone patterns change for each 5 degrees you turn the recording bell? Or by whatever increments you might have chosen.

I might agree with you in the importance of the angling of recording bells. But not in relation to the body of the tuba, top or front pistonery notwithstanding.

If the bass row is close to the back wall of the rehearsal room, stage, bandshell, or whatever it will give a sense of a faster response, if the bell is turned towards the wall.

Coming from the upright euph, and to some degree the Eb bass, it took a good deal of adjustment to realise that the basso profundo coming back from the walls, not doing anything but filling the room and giving the band some real framework to tune up to, was my humble York Master BBb (and later on the 40K). Whereas the tuba I heard was the B&S F sitting next to me.

Thist is a function, that I like, but if one as the occassionally lone tuba with such an equipment has to push the tempo of a lazy band, then such an edgeless and indirect approach can prove to be some really hard physical work.

Klaus

Follow Ups: